The construction of larger and more efficient electric generating stations at Niagara Falls made the original 1895 Adams Electric Plant obsolete. It was demolished in 1966. However due to the efforts of area building contractors, led by Jack Johnson, then president of Walter S. Johnson Bldg. Co., the legended Indian medallion and fan arch at the main doorway was deconstructed and re-built on Goat Island, part of the historic Niagara Falls State Park. The entire structure was disassembled and reassembled at no cost to the public, the cost of materials needed was met by corporate and individual subscription. The Niagara Reservation was declared a U.S. National Historic Landmark in 1963.